Maintaining Good Bone Health As you Age
October 11, 2021 | By StayHappi Pharmacy
Updated On - October 27, 2021
Bones, the strong pillars which hold the body. Obviously, if they are strong pillars then they play a vital role in our body from providing structure, protecting organs, anchoring muscles, and storing calcium. While it's important to build strong and healthy bones during childhood and adolescence, we can take a few steps during adulthood to protect our bone health, too.
IMPORTANCE OF BONE HEALTH
There is a fact in humans about bones that they keep changing and this process is continuous and never stops. This goes like new bones are formed and the old ones shed with the time. The process of formation gets slower as we age. In the young age The body makes new bones at a faster rate as compared to the breaking of old bones. And this leads to an increase in the bond mass too easily.
Study says that most people attain their maximum bone mass by their age of thirty. And after that the process of remodelling takes place in which losing of bone mass is faster than gaining.
What is Osteoporosis and how does it develop?
It is a condition in which bones become weak and brittle. This totally depends on how much bone a person attains till the age of thirty and how much do they lose after that. The rate of the same indicates osteoporosis well. The fact is that the more bone mass in the body a person develops before thirty, the less likely they are to lose it faster and develop the problem as you age.
There is not just diet or one single factor which affects the bone health but numerous reasons to it:
- The amount of calcium involved in the diet. This needs to be understood that a diet which has low levels continues to lower bone density. And this means an increased risk of fractures and injuries in the bones.
- Body movement, this becomes really very necessary to keep yourself active be it any age. People who are not much physically active are more prone to suffer from osteoporosis than others.
- Ohol. Studies say that tobacco is the reason which directly affects the bones and makes them weak. And the researchers have also suggested that one or two alcoholic drinks for women and men respectively. Increases their chances of osteoporosis.
- Now, the facts clearly say that osteoporosis affects women more than men. Therefore, women are more likely to face this issue.
- According to Body Mass Index also known as BMI, if it is less than 19 or you have a small body frame then the bone density will be less which means that less risk of osteoporosis as you age.
- Age. Your bones become thinner and weaker as you age.
- If you are taking the certain medications which damages the bones like
- prednisolone, and
The ways to prevent bone loss which happens very slowly are as follows and quite easy. All you need is the will and some discipline towards your own health. The ways are as follows:
- First, try including enough calcium in your diet. As per the suggestions, Adults aged 19 to 70 are to intake around 1000 mg of calcium each and every day. But in case of women the amount required for women increases once they touch the age of 50. After the 50's are recommended to take 1200 mg of calcium.
- Second, identify the best sources of calcium. These include dairy products, almonds, kale, broccoli, and soy products. People who prefer the non vegetarian diet can choose canned salmon and even bones. Still if there is more requirement then you can consult your doctors to suggest you some supplements high in calcium content.
- Increase the intake of Vitamin D in the body. Because Vitamin D is the substance which helps the body to absorb calcium. Some really good sources of vitamin D are as follows: oily fish, such as salmon, trout, whitefish, and tuna. Adding more options to it, mushrooms, eggs, and fortified foods, such as milk and cereals, are good sources of vitamin D. Sunlight also contributes to the body's production of vitamin D. Still you feel this much Vitamin D is not sufficient for your body then consult a doctor he/she can recommend you more supplements.
- Involve yourself in some body movement. It is always recommended to exercise three days a week. Include walking after the last meal of the day for better digestion as well. Some exercises are known as weight bearing exercises which are: jogging, climbing stairs, walking. These are those activities which should be included in the routine to make bones stronger and will prevent the slow loss of bones as well.
- Avoid the habits which only lead to destruction in the body. Also known as Substance Abuse Be it men or women both should avoid drinking more than one glass of alcoholic drink in a day. Even if the human body allows one alcoholic drink in a day still these habits are of no benefit and should only be avoided.
Maintaining bone health as we age becomes really necessary because bones form the major structure and frame and as we age the bones start shedding. This makes it necessary to be extra careful towards the bones. As once the bones start deteriorating it gets really difficult to carry daily chores.
So strengthen the bones, strengthen the body!